Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:05:19 -0400
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 12:29:46PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> > But we do have a working driver for the AWE64.  Or rather, it worked fine
> > before the new PnP code was comitted, now it doesn't.  It seems to me that
> > this indicates a deficiency in the new PnP code.  Isn't that correct?
>
> No.
>
> I have already explained to you that the AWE64 driver that you were
> using (one actually of _three_ that we have) only worked with PnP cards
> as an accidental side-effect of the old PnP code.  Now that the PnP
> code has been fixed, the brokenness of the old driver is exposed.

Can you give me a few hints on what would be necessary to get the old
driver to work with the new PnP?  I confess ignorance of both PnP and
soundcard programming, but I am willing to try to fix it if fixing it
is within my means.

It's amazing that one of the most popular sound cards of all time, one
that works fine on practically every OS from DOS3.3 to Linux and BeOS,
is of no concern to FBSD developers :-/