Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 07:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <jfesler@gigo.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@SIMULTAN.CH>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS 1.10 question

> .. and if you put the sources in /usr/src/contrib/cvs, then
> cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs  && make && make install, cvs 1.10 will

Don't forget to update /usr/sup/refuse so that later cvsup's don't replace
your hard work during  a make world..

> time).  Note that the next time you do a cvsup of your source tree and
> make world, cvs 1.10 will disappear and 1.9.26 will reappear.

Ah, you've see the syptoms already ;-)

The way I do it is to replace the freebsd makefile with a stub that does
nothing, and tell my /usr/sup/refuse to never update it.  All other files
get updated, so I can investigate what they look like during updates (and
see the changes in my cvsup logs).

Then, I grab current sources, put them into /usr/local/src, build/install.

:-)