Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:09:46 +0900 (JST)
From:      Brian Takashi Hooper <brian@garage.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   what are all the different users for?

Hi !

I was wondering what the function/intended function is of each of these
default users:

toor  --  I can see this is a different version of root, except with a
bourne-shell login; but can I get rid of it if I do not use it?  Is it
needed for anything?

operator  --  what does this run?  what is it intended for?

games  --  what is this for?  if I don't have any games on my system, do
I need this user?

news, uucp  --  as with 'games' above for these...

xten  --  what is X-10?  I don't think I'm running this...?

As a related question, can anyone tell me for sure if it's ok to change
the login shell for root? I am used to using bash, so I'd like to use
that; however, is there anything that depends on root being /bin/csh?

Thanks!

Brian Hooper