Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:23:38 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> How about this...
>
>         We commit to keeping rcOLD working on RELENG_4 to the end of
>         RELENG_4.

	That's a given.

>         We commit to making rcNG available as an experimental option
>         on RELENG_4 well before 4.7-RELEASE, as long as we think it's
>         feasible to do so.

	For sufficiently conservative definitions of "feasible," ok.

>         We commit to keeping rcOLD working on HEAD / RELENG_5 as long as
>         it's feasible to do so.

	Wadda ya mean "we" kemo sabe? It's already going to be enough work to
keep rcng up to date on 5.x, and the old system up to date on 4.x.
Maintainging 3 seperate rc systems on 2 widely divergent branches
doesn't sound like fun to me.

	I would like to reiterate my previous points... namely that for the
vast majority of users, this change will be almost unnoticed. They will
still have the familiar rc.conf[.local] files, and whether we have rcold
in there or not, they will still have to update them for 5.x. Further
confusing the issue by having two different systems in the base won't
help, it'll only hurt.

	I would also like to suggest at this point that we hold off on further
discussion of this nature till we flip the switch to make rc_ng the
default. Rather than speculate as to how big a hill we have to climb,
let's actually start the trip, and see how it looks after day 1.

Doug