Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:44:48 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-R and Scanner recomendations for CD archiving of records?

Greg Lehey writes:

> Am I missing something here?  People keep talking about writing on the
> coated side.  Why would anybody want to do that?  Surely you write on
> the other side?
>
> > Felt tip pens are OK. Anything sharp is sure to ruin the disk (I ruined
> > the first bootable FreeBSD install disk I made, worked great before I
> > wrote on it). It appears the top surface is more delicate than the
> > bottom.
>
> And I thought the bottom side was the coated side.

It appears the disks we're using start with a clear plastic disc, coat
the material that gets "burned", then coat the "ink-write on" surface on
top of that. The laser still shines thru the plastic which protects the
"burned" layer from dirt and scratches. The thinest path thru to the
burned layer is from the top.

I've seen "gold" CD-R's which appear to have the burning layer
sandwiched between plastic, just the way you expect a pressed silver
CD. We don't use those because of widespread reports of high error
rates in some readers, and in some writers. And blue Verbatim bulk
disks were comarably priced.