Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:42:45 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad 600E update

1. Xircom Realport Cardbus Ethernet 10/100 NIC isn't supported by default.
The fix is that I had to use: pcmcia-cs-3.1.29.tar.gz. You will get the
"pcic1: Cardbus not recognized" or a "bad request" otherwise. I swapped in a
3COM MegaHertz 3CCFEM556B PC Card which was detected and loaded by PCCARDD.
The DHCLIENT picked up the info off of the DHCP server so it fixed my
problem. Hmm. RTFM. Hmm. Not at 12:00AM.
(DHCLIENT read and relink the mac address, IP,subnet mask, and gateway so it
seems to work ok).

2. I can recompile the kernel on the Thinkpad 600E in about 15 minutes. This
was done to load in the "mss.c" which I think will fix my problem with
CS4239 sound chip. If it didn't, I at least know where to look thanks to
some user tips.

Otherwise, FreeBSD 4.4RC4 is running very well on the Thinkpad 600E besides
the basic bugs. I'll read LINT a little more to scratch out the stuff I
really don't need and tighten things up a  bit.

This is one laptop that will work with FreeBSD 4.4 no matter what it
takes... ;o)

Ken
4.4RC4