Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 15:23:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Interesting NFS problem with -current

As Doug Rabson wrote:

> Hmm.  No this wouldn't work because if the server rebooted, then all the
> clients would lose.  What we need is a unique signature for the disk.
> What about an MD5 checksum for the first few hundred blocks?

I'm not sure.  The first 0x8000 bytes are usually crap on an iso9660
CD.  Perhaps there's some sort of unique ID already provided by the
standard?  Does somebody know 9660 better?

Of course, the ZIP drives are in another boat.  A checksum might be
a good idea, yes.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/