Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 02:09:37 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        aimsllc@ibm.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ApplixWare V4.3 and 2.2.5-RELEASE ??

On %M 0, Bob Angell <aims@gte.net> wrote:
> Anyone had any experience/success installing Applixware V4.3
> (the one that comes with Linux Red Hat V5.0) under 2.2.5-R?
> I have been able to mount the CDROM, mount it under BASH and
> it still will not run (I *have* installed the Linux Binary
> Compat. Library).

I have been running it on -current for a long time.  A friend
runs it on 2.2.5.  It's been a long time since I installed it.

As I recall, I was never able to get their installer to work.

I did the following:

simply copied the applix directory hierarchy from the CD to /usr.  So
I had /usr/applix.  I then made a softlink from /usr to /opt.
I copied the 'applix' executable to my path someplace.

This also works if you mount the CD someplace and link /opt to the
right place on the CD.

Then you just run applix.  It gives me some bogus message but I
just ignore it.

If you do copy the CD to your hard drive (which gave subtantially
better performance for me than running on my 12X CDROM) you
can delete the non-english language support, if you are so
inclined, by simply removing the appropriate language related
subdirectory.

--
Brian@Litzinger.com