Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:06:48 -0400 (AST)
From:      Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
To:        shovey@buffnet.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security

> > Is FreeBSD C2 security standards compliant ??  If so, what version did
> > these security features debut ??
>
> No it is not - I believe to be C2 you must not be able to gain access to
> the disks even from the console of the machine itself without a valid
> userid and password - and with FreeBSD you can boot with -s to bring it up
> standalone as root.
If this is the only thing FreeBSD needs to be C2 compliant, maybe someone
could come up with some kind of fix where your username and password can
optionally be put in the boot block so you need it to give any startup
options on bootup. Then use the bios to stop flopy bootups. Would that
satisfy the requirements?

-mike