Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:36:24 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        Ron Andreasen <free_bsd_newbie@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need install help please

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:11, someone, possibly Ron Andreasen, typed:
> Primary Master - IBM 40 gb hard drive
> Primary Slave - Liteon CD-Rom
> Secondary Master - Maxtor 20 gb hard drive
> Secondary Slave - HP CD-Writer Plus 9100i

The problem here is with the UDMA (Ultra-ATA) standards. Drives that do UDMA
above UDMA3  want to use an 80-conductor cable, as opposed to the
40-conductor cable used by standard ATA.

Another problem is that UDMA devices (especially UDMA3+) should not be
connected together with non-UDMA devices. While this should work according
to the standards, many systems and driver/hardware combinations do not
support it. According to the standards, these devices should also be
willing to work on a 40-conductor cable, albeit at slower speeds. This is
also not always the case. I have seen drive/controller combinations where
systems refuse to boot if an 80-conductor cable is not used. The best way
to solve this would be to make some changes to your configuration, here is
a sugestion:

On an 80-conductor cable:
Pri. Master:	IBM 40GB drive, at highest UDMA mode
Pri. Slave:		Maxtor 20GB drive, at highest UDMA mode

On a 40-conductor cable:
Sec. Master:	HP CD-Writer+ 9100i, PIO4 mode
Sec. Slave:	Liteon CD-ROM, PIO4 mode

Note that while most CD-ROM/R/RW devices claim to support UDMA these days,
very few of them actually do, and even with devices that do, PIO4 is still
faster in the case of CD-ROMs, because of the way they work.

The problem that this set-up creates is that your drives are all still
sharing cables. While there is nothing wrong with this, it will degrade
performance, as IDE busses do not interleave. For a better solution, I
would sugest you add a second ATA controller to your system

I have a controller based on the CMD649 chipset. Past CMD chipsets are
famous for giving all sorts of trouble, but this one seems to behave,
albeit that I need to disable write caching. The CMD649 comes on extremely
cheap controllers, most in the sub $25 catagory, but they work just fine
for what is needed.

If you can get your hands on such a controller, you should use a set-up like
this:

Motherboard ATA controller:
Pri. Master:	Liteon CD-ROM		(PIO4, 40-c cable)
Sec. Master:	HP CD-Writer+ 9100i	(PIO4, 40-c cable)

Here we make the HP secondary, because most boards will want to boot from
the first CD-ROM, and you should be saving the writer for writing. The same
could apply for my example earlier.

Then...

Offboard ATA controller:
Pri. Master:	IBM 40GB		(highest UDMA, 80-c cable)
Sec. Master:	Maxtor 40GB		(highest UDMA, 80-c cable)

Note that your BIOS will not directly list these drives as bootable. The
offboard ATA controller will have its own BIOS. To get your motherboard
BIOS to hand booting over, set it to boot from "SCSI Boot Device" or
"SCSI". The ATA controller will then grab controle and do the boot.

You can also invert the order of devices, and have the CD-ROMs on the
offboard controller, but because it is newer, the offboard will most likely
support higher UDMA speeds than the onboard one, and only the onboard
controller will be able to perform a CD-ROM boot.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant