Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:10:17 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell D600 odds-n-ends

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:03:54 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:31:33PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
> > > Secondary battery/DVD swapping - no worky (doesn't find the new
> > > device, crashes, etc)
>
> this worked some time ago on my thinkpad. i had to atacontrol detach first,
> then swap drive for battery. may be worth a try. if it doesn't work, you
> can also try the following chain of actions and permutations thereof:
>   (detach), swap, suspend, resume, (attach)
> of course attaching and detaching the battery doesn't make sense, so you
> leave out these when necessary.

You can use atacontrol to detach a drive and allow its removal and to
add a new drive. One thing that does not work is adding a battery. Nate
is working on code to support this, but it's not at the top of his list
of things to get working in the ACPI code, so you can't add a battery,
yet. IF added, nothing bad happens...the system just does not recognize
that it's there.

NOTE!!!! If you boot with a battery and want to replace it with a disk,
you MUST do "atacontrol detach 1" before inserting the disk.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)