Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:02:23 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route changes erratically (routed)

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 12:38:03AM +0200, Leif Neland wrote:

> We have 2 portmasters (PM2), several servers, a cisco to the world, and a
> firewall to the internal network.
>
> The cisco is default gateway
>
> The servers and portmasters are on one class C, the dialins are on another
> class C.
>
> Because some users have fixed ip, but can dial in on either of the
> portmasters, I run routed on all servers, and the portmasters seem to
> announce on which portmaster the customer is, so the route gets changed to
> the right portmaster.
>
> The traceroute should then go from server to pm1 or pm2 to customer.
>
> However, often the route changes so it goes
> server->cisco->pm->client or
> server->firewall->pm->client or even
> server->cisco->(router at our uplink)->cisco->(router at our uplink) etc.
>
> If I constantly pings the client, I gets pauses where the pings are lost.
>
> What do I do wrong? Shouldn't I use routed on the servers, but only route
> default gateway to the cisco, and let it handle the pm1/pm2 route changes?
> Or should I have one server running routed? or gated? or what?

You're probabaly using RIP (version1), and it doesn't support CIDR =>
Lots of trouble.

What I would do was something like this.

Let all your servers and the firewall have a static default route to the
cisco router, and not run routed or gated on these.

Enable OSPF on both the cisco and the portmasters, OSPF has sigificant
advantages over RIP, it supports CIDR among other things. RIP version2
could also solve your problem.

If you need help with this Tele Danmark has consultants that can help
you, but it'll cost you ...

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS249-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)