Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:37:08 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: retasting devices on demand

On 08/22/06 14:16, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <44EB5762.7080109@centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:
>
>> How can I get a particular GEOM class to re-taste devices on demand?
>
> Phrased just like that there is no way.

I should be more generic next time :)

>> have an issue that geom label won't see new labels (UFS labels), and
>> also where I have a shared disk subsystem, where one system puts a label
>> on a device (a glabel) and the other system doesn't know to look for it
>> again.
>>
>> I'd really like a 'geom retaste' command - is this a reasonable option?
>
> The easy way is to open the device for write and close it again:
>
> 	true > /dev/da0
>
> would do it.

Yep, that did it.  I think I tried touch (or maybe something else)
before and it didn't tickle it, so I moved on.

Might be more intuitive for admins to use a retaste command with the
given tool or geom command line.  Is that function left out for a
reason, or just hasn't been implemented yet?

Eric