Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:25:28 -0400
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH (?) version in FreeBSD -STABLE?

From: "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To: "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc: "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Kutulu wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out what 'version' the sshd in FreeBSD is.
>
> If you run 'ssh -v' you should see both the client and server
versions
> printed out.

Thankee.  Running ssh -v confirmed that it's "OpenSSH 2.3.0 with
FreeBSD localisations", which is what I figured it was from the sshd
banner.  So, now I'm just curious if there's a reason it's still at
2.3.0, when OpenSSH is up to 2.9?  The other 'third party' software
like sendmail and BIND are kept pretty up to date, but OpenSSH is
several versions behind.  Just a lack of time to adequately test it?
Or is the reason simply that there's no good reason to upgrade?  I was
going to install the port (because I like staying up to date on
versions), but didn't know if there was some specific reason that
version wasn't part of the base OS.

--K