Date:      Wed, 05 May 2004 18:06:47 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Patrick Crosby <patrick@okcupid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: athlon-mp daily hang 5.2.1

Patrick Crosby wrote:
>>Be aware that this is still somewhat experimental, and commits to the
>>source tree may occasionally break this feature. If the world fails to
>>compile using this parameter try again without it before you report any
>>problems.
>
> this isn't for a 'make -j4 buildworld', it's for compilation of the
> software i'm developing...i got two cpu's to speed up a 45 minute
> build process...
>
> and, it hangs at other times as well, just most consistently during
> compilation.  i'm trying to help find what is causing this so that
> freebsd can improve.

This is the standard "weird hangs" answer, forgive me if you've already
checked these:

1) Does is hang on other hardware as well or just this machine?
2) Have you checked the RAM with memtest86 or similar?
3) Have you ensured the hardware isn't overheating?
4) Is the box in question on a UPS?

These seem to be the most common problems with FreeBSD hanging.  I know
none of them have much to do with FreeBSD, but that's just the statistical
reality of it.

If the answer to #1 indicates an issue with this particular machine, it
could still be a problem with FreeBSD on that particular hardware.

#4 is a rarity, but I've seen crappy power cause weird problems.  Undersized
power supplies can cause similar problems.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies