Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:30:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ICQ

Thanks for response Christopher

> I'm not quite sure why you've singled me out to ask this question, but yes
> it works fine.

I don't know either ...... either you were in the group of people who helped me with another problem a while back, or your name came up in the mailing list archives when I was looking for info on the issue. I eventually found a sorta offbeat solution that got ICQ working quite well without the added complication of SOCKS

> Is your BSD gateway running some form of NAT or is it just a gateway and
> everything behind it has registered IP addresses?

I've got all "real" IP addresses so no need for NAT or aliasing as far as I know

> 1. If you are running NAT (or ppp -alias) you can run ICQ, but it'll be
> slow.  The way it works it ends up trying to make some connection it can't
> make and just hangs for several seconds sending and receiving messages.
> Also, chats and file transfers will most likely not work properly.  This is
> more of an annoyance than anything else.
>
> The way to correct this is to run the socks5 proxy server on the gateway
> machine, and point all the ICQ clients to it.  I believe it's in usr/ports/net/socks5 (but I could be wrong).  Also, there should be a
> thread in the mailing list archives on how to configure socks5, because I
> initially had some trouble with it.

OK .... I did read that thread and several others on the subject of SOCKS,
it seemed that SOCKS was a recipe for trouble so I didn't proceed any further
than downloading the thing .... before I got to install it I discovered a special
version of ICQ for Netmeeting ..... installed that and it worked as well as ICQ
ever did even when on a box directly connected to ISP ..... file transfers, chats etc all work normally with this setup. I guess its something I should let others who wish to use a similar setup to mine know about .....  how do I do this ... just hope they read this thread or what  ??