Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:02:54 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Proliant SATA RAID Cards for FreeBSD?

nocturnal wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2 mirrored disks only. I heard on IRC that Areca was good, i will make
> sure to ask the reseller if i can get an Areca card.

I think they only sell 4-port and up.
For non-raid5, 3Ware is good enough, I think.
The larger Areca-cards can do RAID6, which gives more redundancy and a
performance-boost during array-rebuilds.
They also have an optional battery-backed-cache, which is lacking on
smaller 3Ware cards.
But this has got nothing to do with Proliants per-se ;-)
I'd try to get a Proliant with SCSI and ZeroChannel RAID.

cheers,
Rainer