Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 15:10:20 -0700
From:      "Michael Kerr" <mkerr@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gravis Ultrasound MAX and microphone to speaker output

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE with a newer driver for the GUS MAX that
supports the GUS PnP.  The minor mod to support the gus MAX was done.
The driver was ftped from http://rah.star-gate.com/

I have a GUS MAX and I record from the microphone and play sounds to the
speaker at the same time.  However, when the microphone and speaker-out are ON
at the same time, the sound from the microphone is immediately sent to the
speaker.  I would like to digitize the sound from the microphone and then play
it back at a volume level consistent with the rest of the sounds I am playing.

I have heard it may not be possible to fix via software and that there may be a
hardware solution by cutting the signal on the board. (if it is a hardware mod
please let me know what trace to cut).

I use mbone applications and vat-4.0b1 DOES work as advertized in full duplex
BUT the volume controls do not function at all.

Also I have a problem with the mixers. I have tried mixers: jmix0.2a, xmix-2.1,
and vmix0.3(couldn't get it to run).  The volume controls do not function as
labeled.  Example, the synth volume control changes the volume comming from the
CD-player but CD volume does nothing.  Spkr volume control doesn't work either.

Is there a newer mixer or is it something else?

Any hints would be much appreciated

Mike

mkerr@cs.ubc.ca