Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:16:01 +0200
From:      Marius Nuennerich <marius.nuennerich@gmx.de>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to the Neo1973 (arm920t)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:54:31 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20070918115334.569521c1@sol.hackerzberg.local>
>             Marius Nuennerich <marius.nuennerich@gmx.net> writes:
> : Hi all,
> :
> : Andrew Turner and me are currently exploring what to do about getting
> : FreeBSD to run on the Neo1973. Andrew put up some first instructions
> : here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD
> :
> : Much information about the hardware can be found in that wiki. We are
> : currently stuck after loading the kernel because there is no
> : framebuffer driver (yet) and the uart is not working.
> :
> : I'm using qemu right now because I have no hardware yet.
>
> Are there instructions for that posted somewhere.  Last time I tried
> to get it going I hit all kinds of snags.

Just checkout https://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/qemu-neo1973 with
subversion and do this:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Talk:OpenMoko_under_QEMU#FreeBSD_and_Qemu...

Then run openmoko/download.sh and openmoko/flash.sh if you have all the
dependencies it should work.

> : Any idea what to do next? How to get the uart working? And how to tell
> : the kernel to use it as console?
>
> Chances are very good that you'll need more than just the uart.  The
> uart for the samsung devices will need a driver written for it.
> You'll also need to initialize memory in some way that's unique for
> this SoC

Uh, I thought that this could happen. I have no experience with drivers
like this. But at least it's documented in the User Manual from
Samsung.

> : Many Thanks
> : Marius
> :
> : P.S. Should I have posted this to freebsd-arm?
>
> This is radically cool!
>
> I'd love to see FreeBSD going on this phone, and would help out as
> best I can.  I was going to buy one, but my cash flow won't allow it
> until I can sell some real estate :-(.

Hehe, similar problem here. I wait for the next hardware version as one
should be able to use gps without a linux blob.