Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:35:52 +0100
From:      eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network settings

Andreas Klemm wrote:
 > On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:37:25AM +0100, eoghan wrote:
 >
 >>[... rc.conf ...]
 >>Also, my network assign ip's to each pc on the network.
 >>I noticed in the conf the ip was specified, which can
 >>change... is there any way of doing this in the rc.conf?
 >

 > So you have a DHCP server in your network.
 >
 > You can configure the interface in FreeBSD, so that it makes
 > use of the DHCP service. To get ip address, network mask,
 > default route, DNS servers automatically.
 >
 > All you need to do is to configure the interface in
 > /etc/rc.conf with
 > ....="DHCP"
 >
 > You may also configure everything static for your machine
 > if you know, if there are some IPs in your network reserved
 > for static IPs.
 >
 > Typically Servers get static IPs and DNS entries on a network.
 >
 > If you are working with a laptop and have to use different
 > settings for your system, lets say in one network DHCP, in
 > another location you need a certain static ip, then you
 > can have a look at the port sysutils/personality.
 >
 > It helps you to add system files to kind of a "flat file
 > repository". Then you can save these file under a name
 > of your choice.
 >
 > You simply restore the settings, whenever you change to
 > a location which needs different settings and reboot.
 >
 > Another method is to put it very early in a system
 > startup file. But this method is tricky. Not too early
 > and not too late in the system boot process ... It needs
 > surely some fiddeling and trial and error ...
 >
 > 	Andreas ///

Thanks Andreas...
I have actually got it sorted. As suggested my rc.conf was full of bad
entries because i kept going to sysinstall to setup my network again and
again. Newbie error :). I edited it removing everything bad and now i
have it working perfect. Thanks for the tips.
On a different note... I tried the upgrade from the sysinstall and used
the main ftp freebsd site... but it chocked at a perl install. I assume
this is for the ports tree? Now on shutdown i get stuff like:
Not Found.
Not Found.
Not Found.
I cant exactly remember what the message is but it is something like
this. Im in work and my freebsd machine is at home. Any clues?
Eohgan