Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:56:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Don <deebee@escape.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need  Help  with  FreeBSD!

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Don wrote:

> I am very interested in installing FreeBSD on my computer which is a 486
> DX2 66 PC.  And then I want to install the 3D program Blender.
>
> Can you help me with FreeBSD?  I have your site but am not sure
>  what  to  download  and  then  what  to  do.  I  am  running  Win 95 (v2).
> but  like  FreebSD  and  Blender.
>
> Your  help  is  MUCH  appreciated!
>
> P.S.  I  am  using  8  megs  of  ram.

I try to give a concise outline. Try to read the corresponding chapters of
the the handbook and the installation guide `INSTALL.TXT' in the
2.2.7-RELEASE directory.

1. You have to create a free partition on your harddisk. Either you've to
install W95 too from scratch or you try to split your W95 partition. Use
`fips' from the `tools' directory for a FAT16 partition or buy :-(
Partition Magic for a VFAT32 partition to do that. Probably you will want
to run the X Window system under FreeBSD; thus the new FreeBSD partition
shouldn't be smaller than about 500 MB (to my mind). More disk space can't
be wrong, of course.

2. Download `fdimage.exe' and `2.2.7-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp'. Write
the boot floppy image to a formatted floppy disk using `fdimage' and boot
the floppy. The installation program will guide you through a lot of
necessary steps. I think you should prefer an installation by FTP.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de