Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:19:47 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, ale@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of splitting out web components of lang/php5

06.01.2012 06:20, Doug Barton wrote:
> I do package build systems that support a variety of types of end
> systems. (Nearly) all of them use php in some form or another, but a
> substantial portion of them don't have web servers, and therefore don't
> need the cgi, apache module, or the apache dependency that comes with them.
>
> What would make my life a whole lot simpler is if lang/php5 were the
> command line version, and the cgi and apache modules were separate
> ports. Is this feasible?

Long long ago when I was building php on linux by hand I noticed that
cgi/apache/standalone binaries differ only in small subset of linker
objects i.e. splitting this into many ports will made us for sure
recompile whole php for each of them.

So:
  * this is good from the installation perspective, when user can select
which packages to install and have the components he really needs;
  * this is boring from the update perspective for those who build php
by hand.

I'd say that both options would be good to have.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.