Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:09:02 -0800
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   video on its side

Hiya all,

Let's see, how do I frame this question? Well, let me tell you what I'd like
to do and maybe folks could gently push me in the right direction. :)

I want to take a monitor running at 640x480 and physically turn it on its side
(yes, I *can* do this :) and then I want to display the text on the screen in
that orientation ie. 480x640. I'd also like to be able to change the number of
rows and columns to something like 55 columns by 45 lines. Text only
applications, X need not apply.

I'm not quite sure where to begin. I've been reading over man pages and
everything I've found so far hasn't said diddly boo about it unless I'm
missing something blindingly obvious (entirely possible). I haven't seen nor
could I find anything in the mailing list archives either.

I'm guessing that a new font that fits my dimensions will be needed and maybe
a partial rewrite of a display driver?

Apologies if this should be posted to hardware.

Be gentle, newbie with this stuff. ;)

Russ Pagenkopf