Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 08:29:33 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What has happened to FreeBSD?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9905040752390.995-100000@bytor.rush.net>, Pat Lynch w
rites:
>What are the kinds of things you are doing when it crashes, what version
>of FreeBSD are you running? can't help unless we know a few basics ;)

  The machine is running a 3.1-STABLE kernel from March 21 and typically
is running programs that are analyzing a large set of files.
Softupdates are enabled on all partitions except / and the system is
all ELF.  During the switch from -CURRENT to 3.1-STABLE earlier this
year I was not able to boot the system but with some tinker I got it
back up.  The system is now in a worse state.  After installing the new
bootblock yesterday I see no sign of FreeBSD before the machine
reboots.

  Just for clarification, there are two main problems:

    1) The machine is no longer able to be booted after the installation of
       new bootblock `disklabel -B da0`.
    2) The machine is unstable but when it crashes does not drop to ddb or
       dump a core image.

  Of course the first problem is the most critical at the moment :)

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent@iastate.edu