Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:37:33 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upsd, incorectly polling the UPS

Quoting Veaceslav Revutchi <vr@zeus.dnt.md>:
 [000911 16:32]:
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>I have a SmartUPS 650 connected to to my FreeBSD box
Veaceslav Revutchi>using a 940-0024C cable that came with a smartUps 2200.
Veaceslav Revutchi>I also have upsd running with the default upsd.conf.
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>When I unplug the ups from the mains it triggers this "power line
Veaceslav Revutchi>failed, save your work" and in 30 sec. it will shout "shuting down
Veaceslav Revutchi>in 30 sec." and it then shuts down the machine even though the ups can
Veaceslav Revutchi>still hold the machine for 10 more minutes.
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>The problem I think comes from the daemon not polling the ups
Veaceslav Revutchi>correctly. Every time it polls I get only zeros:
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>Sep 11 12:33:55 rocks upsd[64680]: last test: OK, light test:
Veaceslav Revutchi>Sep 11 12:33:55 rocks upsd[64680]: frequency: 0.00, maxvac: 0.0, minvac: 0.0, vo
Veaceslav Revutchi>ltage: 0.0
Veaceslav Revutchi>Sep 11 12:33:55 rocks upsd[64680]: load: 0.0, recharge: 0.0, temp: 0.0, vdc: 0.0
Veaceslav Revutchi>0, output voltage: 0.0
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>
Veaceslav Revutchi>Can this mean that my cable pinout is still not correct or is there anothe
Veaceslav Revutchi>issue I should know about.

Might be the cable, I guess. I have a smart UPS from APC also connected to
my FBSD box with the cable from APC (this is 9-9 male female , is it what
you call 940-0024C??) but I've never seen that bad msg even though I am at
a place where the power fluctuations are so bad....
I only get 'source power failed' notice and 'source power restored
notice', no reboots! The polling is so instant... and if I deliberately
take the UPS off power I don't get a shutdown warning...

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when
you do, it blows away your whole leg. -Bjarne Stroustrup