Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 20:39:18 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com, mdean@best.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: bad144

>I am not really worried what bad144 thinks, I worried that if it returns
>errors so will freebsd in general since it does run under freebsd and uses
>freebsd system calls I assume.

It seems to be just another application bug.  Untested fix:

diff -c2 bad144.c~ bad144.c
*** bad144.c~	Fri Sep  5 13:13:13 1997
--- bad144.c	Fri Sep  5 13:13:23 1997
***************
*** 145,149 ****
  		}

! 		lseek(f, curr_sec * ss, L_SET);

  		if ((n = read(f, buf, ss)) != ss) {
--- 145,149 ----
  		}

! 		lseek(f, (off_t)ss * curr_sec, SEEK_SET);

  		if ((n = read(f, buf, ss)) != ss) {

>> Why use bad144 at all?  It's a relic left over from the VAX/PDP-11 days...
>> Search the archives, this has come up several times.  It the drive checks
>> good with the vendors utilities (for IDE and SCSI) then it's good.
>>
>> bad144 had it's day when drives _didn't_ do automatic bad block
>> replacement.
>>
>> John	(Yes, I'm old enought to have had to deal with such beasts.
>> 	 My first Unix box was a PDP-11/34 with Version 6.... And
>> 	 _big_ RK-05 drives, all of 2.5mb each...)

For FreeBSD, bad144 should only be necessary for MFM and ESDI drives.

Bruce