Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:03:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <adepoo@tamnet.com.mx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> >The removed RAM has tested out just fine, so that leaves
> >one of two possibilities:
> >
> >1. Supermicro can't handle a full 1GB, despite their specs
> >OR
> >2. FreeBSD can't handle that much memory in a stable manner
> >
> >There have been talks of some large memory patches floating
> >around, but a search of the mailing lists turned up nothing.
> >
> >Anyone know if patching FreeBSD is required in order to support
> >1GB RAM?  Anyone successfully running their box w/ 1GB RAM
> >and 3.2-S?
>

> Is not CDROM.COM running 3.x STABLE ?
>
> 230-This machine is a Xeon/500 with 4GB of memory & 1/2 terabyte of RAID 5.
> 230-The operating system is FreeBSD. Should you wish to get your own copy of
> 230-FreeBSD, see the pub/FreeBSD directory or visit http://www.freebsd.org
> 230-for more information.  FreeBSD on CDROM can be ordered using the WEB at
> 230-http://www.cdrom.com/titles/freebsd/freebsd.phtml or by sending email to
> 230-orders@cdrom.com.
> 230-
>

> Dont know if its SMP though.
>
> 	---Mike

Can it be the memory itself?

We have a test box with 3.2, when we added some memory the machine start
to act weird, just as the original post, freeze, no keyboard input, even
sometimes the machine reboots.

We take out the added memory, and then everything is going well.

The machine is not SMP but it acted exactly as you said.