Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:13:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, fredriks@Mcs.Net, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silo overflows with SMP kernel

> > Right now, I am working on finer grained VM locking which should be
> > a first step on the VFS/VM high level side to make things better.  (I am
> > not one of the "main" SMP people, but am doing what I can do to support
> > them.)
>
> Is this locking for which deadlock detection should be done, or is
> it purely opportunistic?  I ask because the locks probably need to
> be checked agains non-VM locks for deadly embrace deadlocks, if it's
> not.

Yep...  That is where alot of the complexity is coming in.

> JOHN DYSON IS A STUD!

Not really, lets see how things work first :-).  Also, if I was really
a stud, I wouldn't be working on FreeBSD all night, but would have other
interests :-).  Now, I am working on FreeBSD for both my full time
job and after hours...

The stuff is going to be preliminary, and there is a lot of coordination
that is needed between me and the "real" SMP crew.  What I am doing is
mostly going to be a "proposal" to both the SMP people, and my co-workers
at work for review and criticism.  As I know that you know, this has to
be done correctly -- I really don't want to create another "interesting"
thing like our VFS layering. :-).

John