Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 14:42:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gcc differences between aout & ELF

Should I expect there to be any differences between the same version
of gcc under 2.2.8 and 3.1, other than one outputting aout files and
the other outputting ELF?.

I have a (large) program that compiled and linked fine using gcc 2.8.1
(*not* the standard gcc used for building the system). After u/g to
3.1 this program wouldn't run as some of the required aout libs are
not installed. I installed gcc-2.8.1 from the packages on the 3.1 CD
and recompiled my program but I get errors, mainly from the linker
(undefined symbols etc).

Is this behaviour to be expected? I would have thought that if using
the same version then the only difference would be the type of output
files.