Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:24:46 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: load stays at 1 on an idle machine

In message <20010309114435.B45561@ohm.physics.purdue.edu>, Will Andrews
writes:

> --AXo2lOxbfudqq8ta
>
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:39:53AM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > I was running a single instance of SETI@Home, when I observed the load
> > of 2. I stopped seti and the load went down to one. It stays there for
> > about 20 hours already. The machine is idle:
> >=20
> > last pid:  1886;  load averages:  1.00,  1.00,  1.00    up 0+20:36:36  10=
> :33:11
> > 16 processes:  1 running, 15 sleeping
> > CPU states:  0.4% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt, 99.6% =
> idle
> > Mem: 7136K Active, 20M Inact, 9024K Wired, 56K Cache, 22M Buf, 88M Free
> > Swap: 256M Total, 256M Free
> >=20
> >   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> > [....]
>
> top(1) doesn't show all stats relevant to the load average.  Check
> vmstat/systat/iostat/netstat/etc.  Besides, the load average is a
> worthless metric if you ask me.

Load average, the average run queue length over a period of time, is a
good indicator of whether you need to look elsewhere for problems.  I
usually look at the load average first.  Some OLTP applications behave
poorly with a load average < 1.0, e.g. for these applications CPU > 80%
is usually bad.  Other applications can tolerate higher load before
performance sucks.  Load average is O/S dependent.  For example load
average > 1.5 on Tru64-UNIX systems generally affects performance,
while most of the applications on the Sun systems I manage can handle
load averages < 3.0 quite nicely.  With the workloads I run on the
small farm of FreeBSD systems my team manages, we can push the load
average to 4 or 5 before I begin to notice a degradation in response.
Load average is a good INITIAL temperature gauge when you understand
the system and the application running on a particular system.  Beyond
that you need to drill down further.

IMO, load averages > 1.0 per CPU, e.g. 3.0 on a 3 CPU system, affects
throughput (not the same as response time).

If I may digress, scan rate on FreeBSD and Tru64-UNIX systems is a
somewhat meaningless indicator of memory utilisation, while page-outs
and to a lesser extent page-ins are indicative of memory shortage.
While on the other hand Solaris scan rate and page reclaims is an
excellent indicator of when to purchase more memory.  My point is that
one cannot use just one metric to analyse the performance of a system
and hence recommend the purchase of hardware upgrades.  The metrics
used to analyse a system are not the same across platforms.  A number
of factors need to be taken into account, not the least of which are
the O/S, hardware platform, and application.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC