Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:00:52 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec Array Controller - Will it work?

On Tue, Dec 02, 1997 at 01:35:42PM -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Anyone thought about being able to talk to the AAA-130 series of array
> controllers?
>
> I've got one here for testing, and I'm going to fire it up and see if it
> "just works" as an SCSI device under the PCI adapter.... I won't be able to
> hot-control the array (you can config it from a cold boot via floppy) but
> perhaps it will recognize as a standard SCSI device.
>
> If not, anyone thought about supporting this in FreeBSD?

Well....

Ok, its recognized.  As a standard Adaptec PCI adapter.

How tough is it to support this thing in its native (RAIDized) format?
Anyone got documentation for this and what needs to happen for it to work?

According to the manuals, all the actual RAID operations and software are
contained on the card, and the interface supposedly looks like a standard
PCI adapter.  Of course, I know that's not completely true, because I see
*two* disks instead of one (in RAID 1 mode) when I boot the FreeBSD disk.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service