Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:28:26 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Death by SIGXCPU (problems with our clock code)

>Is it possible to lower the priority of the sio interrupts? To maybe

Not without weakening them, especially for timestamping.

>not configure them as fast interrupts? On the time servers the serial

Not configuring them as fast interrupts works, except it is hard-coded
(`something |= RI_FAST') and it weakens them.  BTW, I'm still trying
to figure out how to configure fast interrupts for the pci cy driver.
Configuring them either way just works provided cy's pci interrupt
is not shared.  It seems to be fundamentally impossible to share an
interrupt between fast and slow interrupt handlers.

>Will disable_intr()/enable_intr() work on the SMP machines?

Maybe.  I think the giant lock prevents other CPUs entering the kernel
while one is processing clkintr(), so even plain disable_intr()/
enable_intr() probably works (disable_intr() is a macro in clock.c in
the SMP case).

Bruce