Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:29:26 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

On 21 Aug 2012, at 22:18, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Em 21-08-2012 21:54, Simon L. B. Nielsen escreveu:
>>=20
>> On 20 Aug 2012, at 17:48, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Dear Folks,
>>>=20
>>> I'm glad to announce that the first milestone of the XML migration =
is
>>> available for review in the projects/sgml2xml branch. To check it =
out,
>>> run the following:
>>>=20
>>> svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/doc/projects/sgml2xml sgml2xml
>>>=20
>>> The build process - from the end user perspective - works in the =
same
>>> way. In short, use make all at the proper place, to build only web, =
run
>>> make all WEB_ONLY=3Dyes in the htdocs dir, etc. Then use make =
install with
>>> DESTDIR defined to install files to the proper place.
>>=20
>> We really should fix this (the magic of en/htdocs building other =
languages too etc; DESTDIR not meaning what it does in base etc.), but =
that can be done later.
>=20
> Agreed. Besides, we have DOCDIR, WEBGRP, DOCGRP. They should just be
> DESTDIR and DOCGRP. But I think it comes from the times when doc and =
www
> were separated more physically.

Well, to a degree - it shouldn't be DESTDIR IMO, as DESTDIR in src is by =
default, and BINDIR etc. sets where things live relative to that... as =
in, paths are basically:

${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}/ls (where BINDIR is /bin)

and so on.  So IMO, we should use something other than DESTDIR to say =
where things live relative to the "root"... anyway, it wasn't that I =
wanted to really disuss this now as I don't want to sidetrack the XML =
work, I was just reminded that our build system really is a mess :-) (I =
tried to rewrite it from scratch once... it's not trivial :-) ).

>> I looked at a random page, and the identation for the header is a bit =
funny. Is that just an artifact of an automatic conversion or? Example: =
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/projects/sgml2xml/en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs/log=
o.sgml?revision=3D39396&view=3Dmarkup
>=20
> Yes, it was a scripted conversion and because of the indentation of
> files is not consistent, I couldn't do it in a way that would match =
all
> files.

OK, then I think that should just be cleaned up later as we go.

>> If you are going to change it, could you please change it to use svn =
and with a REPO path we can set from the web build wrapper? I would =
REALLY like if we could get the web build fixed to never try to get data =
from the internet.
>=20
> I don't think it is (a) entirely possible and I'm not sure if it's (b)
> practical.
> (a) You cannot easily build INDEX as part of the doc build and there =
are

Eh, you don't need to. That's why we have an override to point the build =
at the right INDEX file. We (as in, www.FreeBSD.org) don't fetch it now.

> some pages that already depend on remote resources. I remember that
> something fetches some .rdf files and the GNOME newsflash used to pull
> in some official GNOME news. This part stopped to work so I commented =
it

Yes, I strongly disagree that we should have that due to the problems =
whenever upstream doesn't work.

> out.

OK, good :-).

> (b) I think depending on having a local svn mirror of ports is worse
> than just fetching a simple file. Ok, you could set the repo path to =
the
> remote repo but that needs setup and fetching from http just works out
> of the box.

> What do others think?

I'm fine if you do it for people who want it, but please make an =
override which can be used for www.FreeBSD.org etc.  Also, there is =
nothing which says the the mirror has to be local. If you just make it a =
repo path, it will be able to work via HTTP for normal users directly =
from an svn mirror too.

>> Do that mean that the current build dependencies are unchanged?
>=20
> Yes. We went to DocBook 4.2 but it was already a dependency. And I =
could
> build everything on freefall.

Great, that was mostly as we of course need to have any new dependency =
installed on all the relevant FreeBSD.org servers.

--=20
Simon L. B. Nielsen