Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:59:51 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   xfce4 / gtk-update-icon-cache fails with "cairo needs X11"

Hi,

I am doing a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.0-RC3
from FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img on an Acer Aspire One
netbook. Last night I attempted to install xfce4 from /usr/ports/x11-wm and
it stopped with error:

gtk-update-icon-cache-(version): Needs cairo build with X11 support

(sorry, don't recall version off the top of my head) I remember that cairo
was installed before getting to gtk-update-icon-cache. I checked
/etc/make.conf and there is nothing X11 related, ie WITHOUT_X11 is NOT set.
I went over to /usr/ports/graphics/cairo and did a make config, did not see
anything about X11 as an option, did a make install clean and I saw libX11
in the output.. Think it's ok. Then I went back to /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4
and redid make install clean to build... it continued on without further
issue (so far :)

I found another post about gtk-update-icon-cache and cairo/X11 but it does
not appear to be a related issue.

At the moment the xfce4 build is working for me, so my issue is resolved..
But not sure why I received the error, might be something to check out? Is
there a better place to report potential issues with RC versions?

Excited about 9 on the netbook, I tried FreeBSD 7.0 when i first got the
Acer but could not get wireless working at the time so i scrapped it.

Thanks,

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA