Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 20:41:47 +0100
From:      "Marcel Moolenaar" <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>, "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" <asmodai@bart.nl>
Cc:        <committers@freebsd.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: More world breakage

> On 28-Jan-00 Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> > ===> bin/pwd
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   pwd /bin
> > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 pwd.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
> > ===> bin/rcp
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 4555  -fschg rcp /bin
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: install: Undefined symbol "string_to_flags"
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/bin/rcp.
> > *** Error code 1
[snip]
> This is indicative of a larger problem with installworld.  The short
> version is that we need install tools just like we have build tools now.
> The long version is this:
[snip]
> It would seem from Asmodai's breakage that installworld assumes that it
> is ok to use the existing binaries on the system in /bin /usr/bin, etc.
[snip]
> We need statically built install tools just like we have build tools.
[snip]
> Comments, suggestions?
[snip]

I already have patches (somewhere :-) that solve this problem. I choose not
to apply these before the release. I will fix installworld after the
release. For now, you can use the buildkernel and installkernel targets
(after a buildworld) to solve the (possibly complex) dependencies between
kernel, modules and world.

FYI,

marcel