Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:59:25 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Ken Blundell <ken@osicom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Weird File Problem

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 12:01:46PM -0400, Ken Blundell wrote:
> Hello,
> I've never run into this before.  It looks like a weird file problem.
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2.
> Someone decided to mess up my server and now I cannot delete a couple of files.
> There is a file in the /etc dir.
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel      31243 Sep 29 00:14 gay
> If I try to do a rm on the file this is what I get back:
> # rm gay
> rm: gay: No such file or directory
> #
> What an I doing wong??

I'd guess that it contains some none-printing chars, although ls
usually shows those as ``?''. Try ``cd /etc; rm -i *'' and think
*very* carefully before pressing a key to answer the question. When
rm(1) displays the file in question you will be able to answer
``y'' and it will delete it (it may even show the filename differently
to ls(1)).

HTH

> Also there is a multiple listing for the master.passwd file:
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel      30615 Sep 29 11:37 master.passwd
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel         95 Sep 29 00:19 master.passwd
> Should there be two entries?  If not, how do I get rid of one of them?

Again, one (or both) contain non-printing chars.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.