Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:46:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.1/XDM broken under FreeBSD 4.X??

Dear Sirs.

I posted a lot about my problem in -stable, -questions, -newbies
and in the newbie-group of xfree86.org, but with non success.
Hope I get here some help or a kind of confession about a real existing
problem - or the evidence of beeing a little bit stupid ...

Well, I would like first to explain my configuration. At this moment
we have three FreeBSD 4.2 based servers and a test configuration of
one diskless X terminal, which will grow netxt time up to six pieces.
These X terminals boot a FreeBSD 4.2 system also, and they start a
local X server on ttyv0 with an indirect query to a dedicated XDM
host.
At first, I installed a basic installation of XFree 4, no tricks, no
special applications to our needs. From each host, from each X server
I can connect to each local host running X via starting an X server
with a direct query. No problem. All machines running XFree 4.0.1_8
fresh out of the ports are connecting (all are compilde with secureRPC,
XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 and PAM to YES, but I tried with all NO without
effect - nearby: answering "install xdm config" to NO has also no effect,
it gets installed, so be aware having made backups already before starting
installing!) are connecting without problems to each other host, no matter
what version of XFree they' re running (336 or 401). So, this is not what I
want. I want all diskless stations to connect to one XDM host offering
a chooser. And this definitely does not works under XFree 4.0.1!!!
When a XFree401 based X terminal connects to the XDM offering host, it gets
a chooser with all machines I wish to be accessible. All the listed machines
are reacheable by direct queries, I tested out this. But when selecting one of
this hosts out of the XFree401 chooser, it seems that the XDM host is forwarding
the request to the target host, but resets itselfs and come back with the
select list. This behaviour seems not to be FreeBSD specific due some tests
with Linux (SuSE 7.0 and SuSE 6.4) running XFree401. For the case you're running
a chooser based on XFree 4 you will not get any connection! I checked my
endless times and it is correct!
Curiousity is: I exchanged Xfree 401 with XFree336 on the XDM/chooser offering
host - and now, voila, all things work like a charme!

I think it is a problem of forwarding XDMCP requests which is not correctly
performed by the 401-chooser, but by 336-chooser, or I'm wrong?

Does anybody know about this problem?

Well, it is not very likely that I'm they only fool who's running a XDM host
offering a chooser for several X servers/clients around, so is anyone out
here in the FreeBSD/Xfree community who has running on both sides XFree401
and can offer and forward host connections throughout the XDM host? If this
is the fact, something must be wrong with my installation - or simply the fact
living in Germany is some kind of trouble-making reason (DES restrictions and other
little stupid things making life so hard ...).

Please mail me if you have any kind of hint, tip or maybe a solution ...
Thanks a lot.

Oliver

-
MfG