Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:42:36 +0200
From:      err <err@tollari.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   8GB RAM: PAE or not PAE?

--Sig_Tkhh8GKl.EzTEP6Yw5oB.HK

Hi

I have an HP DL380 quad core with 8GB of RAM and SAS disks in RAID, with fr=
eebsd 6 STABLE on it.=20

Everything works fine, except for the RAM addressing problem: freebsd sees =
only 4GB.
I know it have been discussed, but it could be a problem to me for running =
a 64bit compiled system; what is the stability of a kernel compiled with th=
e PAE option?

I've a kernel with no modules, and before trying PAE I would know for other=
 people experiences...
In particular I'm interested in the behavior of ciss, bce, em and usb stuff=
, and application like Perl, Ruby, PHP 5, MySQL server, heavy MAWK and bzip=
2 load.

Also, if I boot a PAE kernel, in order to have all my RAM available, I have=
 to set the hw.physmem variable to 8G ?

Thanks
--
Emmanuel Richiardone