Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:06:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup and port collection

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Gerardo Amaya wrote:

> I'm a newbie a CVSup so this may sound trivial
> If I only do a CVSup to ports-x11 like this
>
> ports-x11 release=cvs
>
> It will be enough to have all my new collection
> or do I need to "make install" something else

As Nil Holland explained, cvsup updates the ports
collection framework, not the actual software.

However it's not such a great idea to update only
part of the ports collection.  The software may have
dependencies that also need to be updated (perhaps
especially with x11 ports).

You can more safely use the ports-supfile and comment
out ports-all and comment in (remove the # before the
name) most of the subcollections but leave out some
categories that may be of no interest, e.g., perhaps
some foreign languages (the japanese category is quite
large) or something like biology if the software does
not interest you.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC