Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:51:36 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike <the.lists@mgm51.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Is maximum swap usage tunable?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 01:15:13PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-02-28 at 10:55 -0800, bob prohaska wrote:

> > > I was running into swap speed / timeout issues.??There were messages on
> > > the console to that effect.
> > >
> > > Once I put the swap space on rotating rust, that part of the compile
> > > problem disappeared.??I use 1GB swap space.
> > >
> > The latest kernel versions seem to have largely done away with the
> > "indefinite wait buffobj" warnings. They're few and far between,
> > the compile proceeds unless they're abundant. The fact that armv7
> > has no problem, and the system is reporting "out of swap" with 34%
> > in use strikes me as suspicious. Kernel and userland are in sync,?
> > so the figure of 34% swap usage is probably accurate.?
> >
> > Perhaps my question is better phrased thus: How does FreeBSD-arm?
> > determine when it's out of swap?
> >
> > Thanks for reading,
> >
> > bob prohaska
>
> You are reading too much into the phrase "out of swap".  It doesn't
> mean literally "all sectors of all swapfiles are occupied with live
> data". ?It just means "out of memory". ?It can happen because it's
> unable to move more data to swap fast enough due to some short peak
> demand. ?It can happen for other reasons too, like all disk buffers in
> use, or running out of resources to track the data in swap, or the
> system can't find any more pages eligible to be moved out to swap.
>
> It looks like the message that indicates swap space is truly full is
>
> ? swap_pager: out of swap space
>
> Is that what you're seeing? ?Or are you seeing processes killed with an
> out of swap space message?

I'm seeing

Feb 27 18:41:50 www kernel: pid 46399 (llvm-tblgen), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

but never anything referencing swap_pager.

As it happens, the machine is still using two swap partitions, one
on USB flash and one on the microSD card. Another correspondent reported
that swap on microSD was troublesome, I thought that problem was fixed.
Maybe I was mistaken and should repeat the experiment.

Thanks for clarifying the terminology!

bob prohaska