Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 19:41:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        perl <perl@netmug.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6 with FreeBSD???

On Wed, 13 May 1998 at  1:29:34 -0700, perl wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm considering purchasing an AMD K6 233 and was wondering if it would
> work fine with FreeBSD.  I see some stuff in the LINT kernel about Cyrix
> chips but nothing about AMD.
>
> Is there anything I should know about AMD processors vs. Intel ones?
> Is there any noticeable difference other than the price?

I'm running a K6/233.  It runs fine, but it took me over a month to
find a big enough cooler.  Without that, it would fall over whenever
it had to do something CPU intensive.

If you can find one, the K6/266 is a different die and only dissipates
about a quarter as much power as the /233.  Depending on the
temperatures down your way, this might be a better alternative.  Note
that I have had absolutely no trouble since installing a big enough
fan, though.

> Someone mentioned something about a 64MB RAM limit.  Is this true?

Like all i386 family processors, the K6 can address 4 GB main memory.
The problem you've heard of is problably that the current Intel
chipset for Socket 7 (the old style Pentium socket) can only cache 64
MB.  From a message I sent about 2 months ago:

  The German magazine c't, which I personally greatly respect, did a
  test of a number of motherboards which can cache more than 64 MB in
  their issue 4/98.  The chipsets tested were:

   Intel 430TX
   Ali Aladdin IV+
   VIA Apollo VP2
   SiS 5582
   Intel 430HX
   VIA Apollo VPX

  The order is the order of speed in c't's BAPCo benchmark (which,
  unfortunately, is stronly Microsoft-oriented) with 64 MB main memory
  (430TX is the fastest, with a rating of 225, compared to 221 for teh
  Aladdin and the VP2).  With increasing memory, the TX performance
  drops, while the performance of the other chip sets increases.  At
  72 MB, the TX drops below Aladdin and VP2, at 96 MB (!) below the
  HX, and by 128 MB, it's down to 204, compared to 227 for the Aladdin
  (which by this time has left the VP2 behind).

  All reports say that the cache limit is particularly hard on
  Microsoft due to its brain-damaged memory allocation; I can't verify
  this, but I'm prepared to believe it.  That would mean that the drop
  under FreeBSD would be less.  I'm currently running a TX board with
  96 MB, and while I'm trying to replace it, I can't say that "my
  performance sucks".

I've now got an SiS-based AGP motherboard, which I'm burning in with a
P5/133.  So far it works fine, so when I have time I'll put it in the
other machine and see how it runs with the K6.

Greg