Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:19:41 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, unfurl@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIngering freebsd.org

Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2000-08-22 10:00 -0700, Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Before I was able to finger a user at freebsd.org see if they
> > > were on etc. Now it seems that freebsd.org no longer has an IP and
> > > people.freebsd.org does not allow fingering. Will this be allowed
> > > again?
> >
> > The freebsd.org machines were moved recently to a new location at
> > Yahoo, and their DNS entries were updated. One change is that freebsd.org
> > is now just an MX record, where previously it was an alias for hub.
> > If you finger username@hub.freebsd.org, it should work as before.
>
> Is this happenstance or is it policy?

It was a quick hack to fix the problem of getting the automatic scripts
that dynamically generate the reverse maps to work by removing the ambiguous
A record.  The way it was to start with, 216.136.204.18 was being
reverse mapped into 'freebsd.org' rather than 'hub.freebsd.org'.

I will fix this tomorrow once I have gathered the courage to edit the
scripts that do this magic and special-case it.

> Greg

Cheers,
-Peter