Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:35:26 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org, maniatty@cs.albany.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Learning the FreeBSD Kernel

[adding -doc, which is more appropriate for some of the questions]

On Saturday, 22 January 2000 at 23:06:41 -0500, Bill Maniatty wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I have a student this semester in my Operating Systems class who would like
> to become a bit more knowledgeable about systems software.  I suggested
> that he learn a bit about how device drivers are written in FreeBSD
> as a minor project.  My questions are:
>
> 1) Does any current documentation of how to write and/or install a
>    device driver exist in English (note C != English)?

Yes, with reservations.

>    We would love to have a level documentation like the document by
>    Pragmatic at http://thc.pimmel.com/files/thc/bsdkern.html, we are
>    looking for a how to guide.

Somewhere we have a tutorial.  I think it's been retired because it's
out of date, but it could be a very rewarding starting point for
somebody who wanted to work his way into the material and either
update it or bring out a new document based on the structure.  This
would also give the student good visibility in the (Free)BSD
community.

> 2) If no existing documentation exists, would it be a good idea to
>    put together a sort of how to guide for a simple driver (with an
>    eye to generalization later if warranted)?
>
> 3) If the answer to 2 is yes, can we get constructive help from the FreeBSD
>    community?

Definitely.  -hackers would be the right forum there.  I would also
personally commit to helping within the constraints of my other work.

> Assuming that this constitutes an interesting project, what would be
> a good initial approach?  I was considering:
> 1) Get and build the FreeBSD kernel (4.0?)
> 2) Choose a non-essential device with a simple preexisting driver.
> 3) Remove all trace of the driver from the kernel source.
> 4) Reapply the changes used to install the driver (perhaps one step at a time).
>    We could suggest some simple sanity checks to support stepwise refinement.

(1) and (2) are a good start.  You don't need to remove the old
driver; it would in fact make it easier for debugging purposes if it
remained.  Instead, choose another major number and name, and write a
new driver.  This procedure is definitely *not* documented, but it's
the way we introduce new drivers, and I think a couple of other people
who have done it would be pleased to help.

A possibly better alternative is to find a device which isn't
currently supported by FreeBSD and write a driver for it.  This would
have the advantage that the work would also be a contribution to
FreeBSD.  The question that I can't answer here is: what would be an
appropriate device?

> If this is a good idea, I would like the following help from the FreeBSD
> community:
> 1) Identify a simple driver (perhaps something like a joystick
>    driver?)

I don't know if anybody uses it any more.

> 2) Identify all source code associated with the driver (including configuration
>    files, makefiles etc...).  Some files may have only one or two lines
>    devoted to the driver, so we will need to know how to recognize such lines
>    and would appreciate pointers to such lines.

That should be relatively straightforward after examination of the old
tutorial, the sources and hier(7).  If not, ask away.  Important
directories are:

  /sys	    		symlink to /usr/src/sys; I'll use it below
  /sys/config		generic configuration files
  /sys/i386/config	configuration files for i386
  /sys/dev		sources for generic device drivers
  /sys/isa		sources for generic ISA device drivers
  /sys/i386/isa		sources for i386-only ISA device drivers

Greg