Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 23:05:29 +0200
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parallel port config

Hi,

I've never been able to get my parallel port working at anything faster
than "compatible", but now that I've upgraded to 4.4-STABLE, I'm trying
again.
I'm using an ASUS A7V with the parallel port in the BIOS set to ECP/EPP.
Without any flags, ppc is started in COMPATIBLE mode at boot time. With
a /boot/kernel.conf, I've tried the following:

f ppc0 0x9

This results in the following when booting:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 drq 0 flags 0x9 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/NIBBLE) in ECP mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/8 bytes threshold

When I print something, the system hangs completely while uploading the
file to the printer. Even top doesn't update its display anymore ;-).
When the system comes back to life, top displays an interrupt count of
100% which drops to 0%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sven

--
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions