Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:54:41 -0500
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using Ant (continued)

Dylan Carlson wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 01:04pm, Dave Glowacki wrote:
>
> > Nope.  Sharable libraries should go under share/, and since Jar
> > files are almost always sharable, they should follow this convention.
> >

> I guess I don't understand this logic.
>
> I think you're taking the word "share" beyond it's original scope of what
> people meant by "architecture-independent".
>
> JARs and classes are _libraries_, hence go under /lib.  The same with Perl
> modules and Python.   True-they may be architecture-independent, but /share
> is not meant for application libraries, it's used for man pages, info pages,
> config files, templates, dictionaries, timezone stuff, et al.

share/ has always been meant for *anything* which can be shared
between multiple machines.  It hasn't included much code only
because there hasn't been much sharable code until recently.

About the only sharable code in the old days was in the form of
shell scripts and troff or make macros; not surprisingly, the
"libraries" for the latter two can be found in /usr/share/tmac/
and /usr/share/mk/

> Libraries belong in /lib.  Perl and Python and PHP libraries, which are also
> architecture-neutral, are also done under lib, in their respective
> directories;

As another counterexample, bison and the GNU auto* tools
(libtool, automake, autoconf, etc) install their libraries
under ${PREFIX}/share.

> I see no reason why we should change this behavior to confuse
> the situation with Java.

Most of the current Java ports install their jar files in
${PREFIX}/share/java/classes, so keeping them there isn't
a change ... moving them elsewhere would be.