Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:52:10 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Determining the correct pkg-plist

On Sun 2003-01-19 (22:25), Ade Lovett wrote:
> On 01/19/03 18:30, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > There are some scripts in ports/Tools that mostly-automate this
> > process.  I usually just use (a suitable variation of) "find
> > /usr/local -mmin -5 -o -cmin -5" myself, though.
>
> Actually, I've found the best method (certainly in the early stages of gnome
> 1.x port development) was to make judicious use of
> PREFIX=/somewhere/to/build in the install, deinstall, along with a wrapper
> to touch /somewhere/to/build/STAMP, and also check for files that ended up
> in /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local instead of where they should.
>
> This has the added advantage that if your port passes, not only is the PLIST
> correct, it's also PREFIX-safe.

I do something of the same, using my "mkptools" in
ports/Tools/scripts/mkptools.

Running as my own user, mkpinstall will put stuff in
/tmp/${USER}.${PORTNAME}/prefix and generate the PLIST (including
dirrm).  Doesn't do man pages, though.  If it tries to put things in
/usr/local or /usr/X11R6, it'll fail, since it's run as a non-root user.

mkpskel autogenerates a skeleton Makefile (populating MASTER_SITES, if
given a URL, and also distinfo), mkpextr is supposed to (but doesn't)
detect which of GNU_CONFIGURE, WRKSRC, USE_PYTHON, USE_PYTHON_DISTUTILS,
&c. are needed.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner