Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:12:30 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling inetd?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:15:36AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> I think it's a bad idea, and assumes that the 'default' installation is
> a box that's running 24/7 connected directly to the internet.

How long it's connected doesn't make any difference.

How it's connected does, but consider 2 scenarios: a) person does not
have inet access, but has network access; b) person does not have any
sort of connection.

a) is not a common thing.  b) would render inetd completely useless.

> I only have one box that is 'vulnerable' to the internet, and it's my
> firewall.  All the other boxes are inside the firewall, and can (and do)
> run the other daemons since they are most useful, *especially* for
> configuring the box.

The argument here is that we don't need inetd enabled by default (which
follows the line of reasoning that if we don't really need anything
specified in inetd.conf, we don't need inetd).  Your situation does not
give any reason why you can't simply turn on your services when you're
up and running.

I'm waiting for someone to give me a reason why inetd needs to be
running at INSTALL time, not when it is brought on a network (there have
been one or two so far mentioned).

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>