Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:20:29 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote and Voice control

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Voice Control
>
> Don if you or anyone has a good pointer to limited voice control
> lets hear it .

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, Amancio, but I can't give
you pointers to existing code, so I'll have to explain it as best I
remember. The little micro had 5 inputs with bandpass filters which it
sampled as fast as it could. The filters were biased towards the low end
of the spectrum, concentrated in the 2-6khz range, only one was higher,
about 10khz.

What the trick was is that we did five 8-bit integer FFT's on the
streams to get multiple comparison samples. With our higher processing
power, we ought to be able to do one FFT on the raw data and have a good
comparison sample. You want to do this in the frequency domain once you
have identified the beginning and end of your word. I believe I did
mention that the VCR Voice unit needed to be trained for recognition?

Since this is not connected speech, you just need to search for the
beginning of audio in the sample and frame the command properly.
Comparing the sample with a limited set of 5-10 commands should be no
problem in realtime.

Rotsa Ruck, Amancio. If I can do more, I'll be glad to. I have a USR
voice modem, when I get my motherboard working again I'll plug it in and
have a go at it. I only have a cheapie sound card, so I will have to do
my work through the modem.

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *