Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 07:11:02 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   recommendations using newfs to save space?

In FreeBSD since the default for newfs by sysisntall is 8K will
considerable space be lost if files are less than 4K? Or to re-phrase: is
the blocksize the minimun unit of allocation in FreeBSD?

What is the Frag size? Newfs man page has a parameter for that, but no
explanation.

Also noticed on a new computer I am setting up that there are plenty more
inodes than I will need. How much space does each inode uses?

Does optimization for "space" really helps conserve space? What kind of
degradation will be seen by using that flag instead of "time" optimization?

----
francisco@natserv.com
The power to serve.   http://www.freebsd.org