Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:13:53 +0200
From:      Benedikt Stockebrand <me@benedikt-stockebrand.de>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Siemens-Fujitsu LB 6120 and Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100

Hi Gianmarco,

Gianmarco <gmarco@giovannelli.it> writes:

> 1) It is full of stickers "Designed for Windows XP" and "Centrino", which I
> really was unable to remove. I really don't know which kind of fucking glue
> they have used ... any suggestions is welcome :-)

Put FreeBSD stickers on top:-)

I got those off my Toshiba without much trouble and only a little bit
of methylated spirit to get rid of the remaining glue.

> 2) The serious problem :-) seems to be the internal wifi card which seems to
> me be a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 accordingly to the docs.

Unless things have changed recently, the network card in all Centrino
systems is not supported by any free OS.  Allegedly it is basically a
fully software controllable radio transmitter/receiver so all national
radio regulations have to be implemented in the driver.  Since Intel
doesn't want to get in trouble selling illegal products they don't
publish the specs and generally have a problem with open source
drivers (which would provide the basis for some reverse engineering
that might lead to legal problems).

So don't hold your breath waiting for a functional driver.  Instead,
get a supported WLAN card if you need to.

Cheers,

    Ben

--
Dipl. Inform.                  Tel.:  +49 (0) 6151 - 971 823
Benedikt Stockebrand	       Mobil: +49 (0) 177 - 41 73 985